I've been interested in films my entire life and now have finally got up and done something about it. Here you will read my thoughts on a different film every week, helping you to decide what to see, maybe even spark up a bit of discussion (basically, tell me if you think I'm wrong). However, don't let this put you off any film, be your own judge as well. Most of all, enjoy, oh and come back.

Saturday 21 January 2012

Goon

Seann William Scott often fits into a certain type, to put it bluntly, silly films. After following his favourite hockey player, Doug (Scott) goes from bouncer at a pub to pro hockey player, seems to fit the bill.

I didn't think much of the film or the story in the first say, twenty minutes. It just seemed to be in competition with the likes of Superbad and dare I say, American Pie. With Doug's best friend Ryan (Jay Baruchel) making obscene jokes every 5 seconds, I couldn't help but role my eyes. When the story moves away from him, is when the film really starts to pick up. We get to see what Scott's character is really like, which is a polite, cute, neanderthal with really hard fists.

Liev Schreiber's character is rather terrifying, creating a great juxtaposition between him and the dimwitted Doug. The camera angles used on the ice show how scary it can be and bring the audience into the match. Now that I know it's based on a true story, I only want to meet the real Doug and give him a hug.

Check it out on IMDb.

No comments:

Post a Comment