I've been interested in films my entire life and now have finally got up and done something about it. Here you will read my thoughts on a different film every week, helping you to decide what to see, maybe even spark up a bit of discussion (basically, tell me if you think I'm wrong). However, don't let this put you off any film, be your own judge as well. Most of all, enjoy, oh and come back.

Saturday 12 November 2011

Tintin

This week marks my first review of an animated film with Tintin, which carries some nostalgia on my part. I'll lay my cards on the table, I do tend to favour Pixar over Dreamworks (Tintin being the latter), but I shall endeavour to be impartial in my critique.

The title sequence is fun and whimsical, for the first three minutes, but seems to drag on. Don't get me wrong, some of the greatest films have the longest titles, but this is Tintin for crying out loud. The introduction of Tintin as a character is lovely, using a street artist to present a cartoon picture of the original Tintin to his newly computer animated self. This link between series and film is also found in the well known catch phrases of both Tintin and Captain Haddock ("Great snakes!" and "Blistering Barnacles!" respectively), but are annoyingly overused. The graphics are indeed impressively realistic, but when it comes to bodily gestures and how the characters interact with each other, they become strangely robotic. It's a shame considering how flawless the faces are.

The end definitely gears towards a sequel and alas it is true, due for 2013, an adaptation of The Seven Crystal Balls and The Prisoners of the Sun is reportedly being written by Antony Horowitz (writer of the Alex Rider novels). Steven Spielberg seems to be into everything, what will he get his hands on next? Oh yeh, a story of a horse that fights a war.

No comments:

Post a Comment