I've been interested in films my entire life and now have finally got up and done something about it. Here you will read my thoughts on a different film every week, helping you to decide what to see, maybe even spark up a bit of discussion (basically, tell me if you think I'm wrong). However, don't let this put you off any film, be your own judge as well. Most of all, enjoy, oh and come back.

Friday 18 November 2011

The Rum Diary

I am a sucker for films set in the 1950s; the cars, the outfits, the overall charm, but then again, The Rum Diary shows a 50s that wasn't exactly plain sailing.

The story follows Johnny Depp in his second Hunter S. Thompson role (his first being Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) as the enigmatic Kemp, while he tries to uncover the real story of San Juan, away from the Americans swarming in to bowl and build hotels. The extravagant character of Sanderson (Aaron Eckhart) epitomises everything that was wrong with the Americans in Puerto Rico with his yacht and jewel encrusted tortoise.

Although I appreciate the message the films trying to convey and the great performances from Eckhart and Depp, with his subtle Jack Sparrow expressions, certain parts are unnecessarily longwinded. I think Bernardo (West Side Story) said is best, "Puerto Rico is in America now."

Check out The Rum Diary on IMDB.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see this movie. I imagine it will live up to fear and loathing. I hope anyway.

    ReplyDelete