I've been interested in films my entire life and now have finally got up and done something about it. Here you will read my thoughts on a different film every week, helping you to decide what to see, maybe even spark up a bit of discussion (basically, tell me if you think I'm wrong). However, don't let this put you off any film, be your own judge as well. Most of all, enjoy, oh and come back.

Tuesday 11 October 2011

The Debt

Although The Debt has a stirling British cast with the likes of Helen Mirren, Tom Wilkinson and Sam Worthington, it lacks the emotion it would take for it to be a stirling film as well. The audience can never really relate to the characters, well why would they? They are all Mossad secret agents, but the intimate relationships that are shown in the film are also hard to relate to. It may also be the fact that you somehow feel that the protagonists are the villains of the piece. Not to say that you can't feel compassion towards a villain, I've always felt sorry for Norman Bates. This is more to do with the fact that they made a mistake and then have sculpted they're whole lives around it.
Ciaran Hinds' character suggests a sinister story, where things may twist and turn, this isn't necessarily fulfilled and I was left feeling unsatisfied with the revelations. The conclusion to the film left a lot to be desired, it could have led to an impressive resolution, but instead turned out to be an OAP lightweight championship, resembling Mirren's recent crime caper RED. Yet this one wasn't supposed to be funny. My mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment