I've been interested in films my entire life and now have finally got up and done something about it. Here you will read my thoughts on a different film every week, helping you to decide what to see, maybe even spark up a bit of discussion (basically, tell me if you think I'm wrong). However, don't let this put you off any film, be your own judge as well. Most of all, enjoy, oh and come back.

Monday 19 December 2011

My Week with Marilyn

A week of Marilyn Monroe's life shown through the eyes of a young man, where Monroe is played by an actress who is... not Marilyn Monroe, made me skeptical to say the least. So naturally, I had to see it.

The idea of someone trying to emulate someone as iconic as Monroe made me somewhat squeamish, however Michelle Williams wasn't half bad. Everyone will remember Monroe's little dance in The Prince and the Showgirl, William's rendition of the same scene is enchanting. Her voice may not be reminiscent of the late great Monroe but little things, like the way William's moves her mouth, is quite similar. I felt the same skepticism towards Kenneth Branagh playing Sir Laurence Olivier, but towards the end of the film, I was loving every minute he was on screen, including the stirling line; "Acting is all about truth and if you can fake that, you'll have a wonderful career."

Unfortunately, I didn't feel as captivated by Emma Watson's character, Lucy, a character as forgettable as the name. She will always remain Hermione Granger to me. It's a shame that the very same film that made her career is going to be the one holding her back.

As someone that has always been fascinated by Miss Monroe's life, I was excited to see this, if only from a biographical point of view, yet for anyone who doesn't know detailed aspects of her life, some points of the film are just wasted. I seemed to leave the cinema thinking that it was just some guy's claim to fame; I shagged Marilyn Monroe.

Check it out on IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment